By PDG Belinda Yeung, JP, Rotary Club of Hong Kong Harbour
October is Economic and Community Development Month
Economic and Community Development is one of the Seven Areas of Focus that Rotary has asked all clubs to focus on, especially in October.
What is your club doing to help the people in the community by creating sustainable, measurable and long term economic improvements in their livelihoods?
Nearly 800 million people live on less than US$1.90 a day
A couple of ideas we can lend a hand:
- Strengthening local entrepreneurs, community leaders, particular women, in impoverished communities
- Developing opportunities for productive work;
- Reducing poverty in under-served communities;
- Supporting studies for career-minded professionals related to economic and community development.
How Did Rotarians Around the World Make Help Happen in their Communities?
Empowering women in Guatemala through microfinance
RC of Barrington Breakfast in US was partnering with RC of Guatemala Sur in Guatemala on a microfinance program in Sumpango.
- This program aims to complement the skills of indigenous women and give them an opportunity to generate income.
- The objective for the program is to finance weavers in Sumpango. Each person received ($400 USD) in the form of credit for materials and supplies to create weaves and fabrics, which is to be paid back in twelve installments of $250 GTQ plus interest each month.
- They sell their products at a price equivalent to wages they would earn for the same hours of work.
- Since local employment opportunities are very limited, they embrace this microfinance opportunity to generate income that would otherwise be very difficult to attain while providing needed products.
Throughout October, we’re celebrating our progress and commitment to helping grow local economies and communities. Let’s work hard to support the communities around the world through The Rotary Foundation!
- Understand you were one of the Scholars at the Group Study Exchange before, can you share with me your story?
“I participated Rotary’s Group Study Exchange program in 1981 supported by RC of Tsuen Wan. I went with other scholars to study at Seattle Washington State. It was a great experience where I had the opportunity to meet with many Rotary Clubs in US. This experience has also changed my life till then as I left my government job and started a new page after being a Scholar”.
- I know that you have been an AKS member since 2018, why did you donate to the Rotary Foundation?
“I have been contributing to The Rotary Foundation since I joined Rotary and it’s my responsibility in giving back. Supporting the people who are in need has been my utmost priority. I have also been donating to various charity organizations and entities who need support.”
- What do you want to share with our Rotarians in supporting The Rotary Foundation (TRF)?
“I’m really grateful for how Rotary has changed my life and I believe every Rotarian has the responsibility in contributing to TRF and we should all support!”
END POLIO WALK & CARNIVAL! 6 NOV 2021 (HONG KONG)
Support the fight to end polio and take pride in participating Rotary’s End Polio Now!
Please bring along your family and friends to this meaningful cause!
You may pick any place for the walk.
Just remember to arrive at Science Park no later than 1:30pm!
- Game booths
- Art and Craft booths
- Instructors to teach children on painting techniques
- Clown performance
- Numerous gifts and prizes for participants
END POLIO PHOTO COMPETITION
Remember to join the “End Polio Photo Competition 2021-22” during the walk. Please send the photos taken during the walk to RIC (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Support End Polio Now! See you all on 6 Nov!
We are excited that Macau and Mongolia will also be participating this important event on the same day. Members will be organizing a walk and carnival in Macau, please find below poster for details! Thank you all for your support!
DISTRICT ROTARY FOUNDATION SEMINAR CUM GRANT MANAGEMENT SEMINAR
Date: Sat, 27 November 2021
District Rotary Foundation Seminar : 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
Grant Management Seminar : 1:45 pm – 4:45 pm
Venue: Regal Hongkong Hotel, 88 Yee Wo Street, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
Mark Your Diary
- 6 November 2021 – End Polio Walk & End Polio Carnival
- 27 November 2021 – District Rotary Foundation Seminar / Grant Management Seminar
- 19 April 2022 – Paul Harris Society Event